Obviously that title is to be sung to the tune of PYT, right? Left. Here is what the Slottsfjell Festival had going on for us backstage. Grilled food, free massages, Bourbon and heaps of great people. It's important that as we travel through Europe on planes, in vans and horseback that we have these moments of respite. A good meal and a massage can make a huge difference in the day!
”And suddenly, I looked at the bull. He had this innocence that all animals have in their eyes, and he looked at me with this pleading. It was like a cry for justice, deep down inside of me. I describe it as being like a prayer – because if one confesses, it is hoped, that one is forgiven. I felt like the worst shit on earth.”
This photo shows the collapse of Torrero Alvaro Munera, as he realized in the middle of the his last fight… the injustice to the animal. From that day forward he became an opponent of bullfights."
Touched. Beautyful paralyzation of compassion.
Question: if man & bull found compassion for one another without even speaking why can't we, who speak the same language find more compassion for each other...
I ask myself. Prattling in my mind...
(Via Bobbi's blog)
There is something about the pre show prayer that tends to lift me up. It tends to prophesy and predict the performance. I had been out to the front of house and had noted that the crowd was not as large as in years prior, maybe it was the rain.
We played the Zeit Musical Festival last year, but this last run has been different. I've been seeing Monae giving that look over to stage right similar to the one that Jordan gave Marv Albert when he was dropping all those threes against Portland in the playoffs.
I told Joey [percussion] that something amazing was going to happen. I didn't know when, but I knew that it would. It did. Somewhere between painting and breaking down to a pulse of Mushrooms and Roses, JM inspired a call that the crowd responded to like willing background vocalists. I would tell you more about it, but there are some notes that sound better when they are sung.
Thank you Freiburg, we will be back for y'all spicy behinds! Next stop Paris!!
In front of 15,000 Janelle Monae proctored a class as only a festival veteran can, with ease and excellence. Somehow keeping those who knew of her and those who were discovering her held in the very same balance as she shook the hands of time on her soul clock like an incumbent on a familiar campaign trail.
It was beautiful to witness. It was humbling to be apart of and it will forever be special to remember.
This came across my desk a few times today and I thought it might inspire/encourage some of you! Before we can really process numbers 2-8 I think we should deeply consider number 1. Many of us think “it can never happen to me.” How untrue?! The proverbial “it” can always happen to us. Even if we’re as healthy and careful as possible “it” can always happen. But consider this: Though we may suffer health issues that are out of our control, we still must treasure the gift God has given us in our bodies. Our grandkids will thank us when we still have the energy to play with them.
-Jovian Zayne (@Jovizi)
During this time in your life, which rule for being human resonates with you the most?
RULES FOR BEING HUMAN
1. You will receive a body. You may like or you may hate it, but it will be yours for the entire period of this time around.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think them irrelevant and stupid.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that ultimately “work”.
4. A lesson is repeated until learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can go on to the next lesson.
5. Learning lessons does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain its lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned,
6. There is no better than “here”. When your “there” has become a “here”, you will simply obtain another “there” that will, again, look better than “here”.
7. Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
8. What you make of your life is up to you, You will have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
9. The answer lies inside you. The answers to life’s questions lie inside you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.
10. You will forget all this.